The Language program has a curriculum with a linguistic profile, oriented so you can acquire the tools needed to study languages. This will help you to influence teaching environments related to languages, designing learning programs, translating or doing research in applied linguistics. Also, you will take other courses, such as communication and education, so you acquire a global learning. Additionally, the program is designed to motivate you to become a critical and creative professional in languages, and to use and transmit concepts of applied linguistics.
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE OBJECTIVES
As a professional in Languages, you will develop your ability to use the theoretical, methodological, practical and technical foundations of applied linguistics to intervene in the areas of foreign language teaching, translation, interpretation, intercultural communication, socio-linguistics and pragmatics. Additionally, you will have the ability to accurately communicate, both orally and in writing, in Spanish, English and other foreign languages.
Besides expanding your abilities at enrolment, we at the UDLAP propose to:
- Show you how one learns a native and a foreign language.
- Teach you languages with a didactic methodology and educational technology.
- Instruct you to design courses in language or applied linguistics.
- Train you to conduct research in applied linguistics.
- Help you to understand the history, behavior and use of languages.
- Conviction to work for the common good and to strive for success.
- Openness in the area of knowledge, culture and interpersonal relations.
- Vision to accomplish goals through learning.
- Basic reading understanding in English or other languages.
- Predilection for reading, both in Spanish and other languages.
At the end of your studies, having acquired new knowledge and expanded your abilities, you will have:
- Ability to communicate correctly in Spanish, English and other languages, both orally and in writing.
- Class experience teaching a first and second language in work and school settings, as well as in bilingual schools.
- Vision to plan, design, and evaluate study programs in the language and multicultural education areas.
- Flexibility to work in different workplaces that require translation.
- Ability to serve as spokesperson for companies and public offices that need to communicate in different languages.
- Command of English and Spanish at a level of competence according to European standards; and of French, German and/or Italian at least at the level of independent user.